The organiser of the Penang Nude Sports Games 2014 that raised a media maelstrom, claimed the participants were living in fear after a five-minute video of the activity surfaced online.
Malaysian Albert Yam Kam Hoong, 46, a Singapore permanent resident and videographer of the event, said that with the police hot on their heels, they lived in fear every day "like criminals", reported Malaysia's The Star.
He said: "The immense pressure led to sleepless nights. We were filled with sadness and fear and we avoided everyone.
"We have to thank one of our friends for making the first move to surrender. Without him doing it, I don't think any of us would have dared to surrender."
Mr Yam said the group had a talk before deciding to surrender together.
He had earlier sent an e-mail to a Chinese newspaper, apologising to the Penang state government.
The e-mail read: "We are sorry to have held a naturist event in Penang, which created a storm in the whole of Malaysia. We won't do it again and please accept our deepest apologies for our misconduct at Teluk Kampi, which created embarrassment for the country." Mr Yam also e-mailed 13 participants to apologise.
He claimed that his Vimeo account - where the video was first shared - had been hacked, and the video shared widely without his knowledge.
He threatened to take legal action against those uploading the Penang Nude Sports Games 2014 video on other video-sharing websites.
Five participants who turned themselves in have been remanded for three days to facilitate investigations.
Balik Pulau OCPD, Superintendent Lai Fah Hin, said the case had been classified as gestures intended to insult the modesty of a person.
He said another Malaysian woman had also turned herself in on Sunday morning.
Two other suspects, a 40-year-old Malaysian and a 30-year-old Singaporean, who were remanded last week, were released on police bail last Friday.
In Butterworth, Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said the organiser must also apologise to the Penang National Park as the event took place there.
"Even though they had apologised, they have to face the music as this sort of behaviour is not acceptable in Malaysia," Mr Lim said after opening the World Breastfeeding Week 2014 on Sunday.
This article was first published on August 19, 2014.
Get The New Paper for more stories.