Nun attacker caught on camera at church

Nun attacker caught on camera at church
The Church of Visitation along Jalan Yam Tuan where the two nuns were attacked.

SEREMBAN - The CCTV at the Church of Visitation here has captured some footage of a man who is believed to have assaulted two Catholic nuns at the entrance to the premises.

"Based on our CCTV recordings, a passing motorcyclist made a U-turn at about 6.05am and rode into Gate 2, a minute after the sisters had driven in," parish priest Father John Gnanapiragasam said of the violent attack last Wednesday morning.

The part-footage was captured by two of the church's 13 CCTVs, he said.

"The assailant, who was wearing a helmet and holding a lighted torch, ran after the two sisters who were dressed in everyday clothes.

"He was then seen running towards his motorcycle and taking off two minutes later," he said in a statement.

During the incident, Sisters Julianna Lim, 69, and Marie Rose alias Theresa Teng, 79, were repeatedly hit with a helmet by the suspect.

Lim, who bore the brunt of the attack, remains on life support at the Tuanku Ja'afar Hospital while Marie Rose has since been discharged.

Gnanapiragasam appealed to the police to set up a beat base, particularly on Sundays, as there had been numerous incidents of break-ins and snatch thefts near the church.

"Besides the daily morning masses, the church sees about 5,000 worshippers for the five masses from 6.30am to 1pm on Sundays.

"We hope a police pondok will be set up in front of the church on Sundays and for daily morning patrols to be carried out," he said.

Earlier, Malaysian Crime Prevention Foundation (MCPF) vice-chairman Tan Sri Lee Lam Thye visited the church to meet officials and parishioners.

He called on more organisations to work with MCPF to check crime.

Seremban deputy OCPD Supt Baharuddin Mustapha, who was also present, said police had stepped up patrols in the area and that a mobile unit would be based outside the church from noon to midnight.

"We also have our motorcycle unit and plainclothes policemen conducting regular patrols in the area," he said, adding that police were awaiting findings from their forensic unit on the CCTV recordings.

The sisters from the Holy Infant Jesus order had arrived at the church from their home in Kampung Pasir for the morning mass on that day, along with another nun in a car driven by Lim.

The third nun entered the church via a side door while Lim and Marie Rose walked from the car park to the front of the building, where the attack took place.

The victims were found bleeding by a church worker and sent to the hospital.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.