Opposition calling for Johor to rebuild 150-year-old mansion

Opposition calling for Johor to rebuild 150-year-old mansion
The demolished Wong Ah Fook mansion.

JOHOR BARU - The Opposition is calling for the state government to rebuild the demolished 150-year-old Wong Ah Fook mansion.

Stulang assemblyman Andrew Cheng said on Tuesday that while it would not restore the true value and sentiment of the mansion, it would at least be a record of Wong's huge contribution to the state's development.

He added that the demolition of the mansion was a valuable lesson for the federal and state government to ensure that protection of historical sites are done promptly so that no such incidents would happen again in future.

"This is partly due to the negligence and ignorance of the relevant authorities because there were talks that the state government wanted to gazette the piece of land two years ago but no action have been taken so far," he said in a press conference.

The mansion, which once belonged to Wong Ah Fook, who was the chief contractor who built many iconic buildings in Johor Baru was torn down by contractors at 11pm last Wednesday night.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.