IPOH - Three foreigners, believed to be responsible for at least 17 armed robbery cases in five districts, were killed in a shootout with the police in Sungai Siput early Sunday morning.
Perak deputy police chief Deputy Commissioner Datuk A. Paramasivam said police spotted the three behaving suspiciously in a Perodua Myvi at Jalan Lasah at 4.45am.
"When ordered to stop, the suspects tried to squeeze their car past the vehicle of our Perak police contingent D9 team and fired random shots.
"A chase followed suit and throughout the 2km, the suspects continued to fire shots at the police," he told reporters.
DCP Parasivam said police managed to recover a .22 Walther pistol, four parang (machetes), two metal cutters, a crowbar, two axes, three ski masks and five pairs of gloves.
He said that no personal identification documents were found on the suspects, adding that the vehicle used by them had been reported missing in Bukit Puchong, Selangor, on Aug 20 last year.
"This incident follows the arrest of four other foreign men at a house in Kanthan Baru, Chemor, on Jan 7.
"We believe they are part of the same group behind 17 armed robberies in the Ipoh, Batu Gajah, Taiping, Sungai Siput and Kuala Kangsar districts since July last year," he said, adding that the Perak police had formed a special team to specifically track down the suspects.