KOTA BARU -The family of the 15-year-old teenager who was gang-raped at an empty house in Ketereh on May 20 is said to be under tremendous stress following the incident.
State Welfare Department deputy director Norazman Ab Manaf said the family had gone into hiding to avoid attention after the wide publicity the story had received.
"We sent our counselling officers to their home in Kuala Krai on Wednesday he said.
Norazman added that the premises had been vacated.
"My officers managed to get the father on the phone but they were told he had moved in with a relative.
"They want to be left alone," said Norazman.
The 15-year-old, the eldest of three siblings, was allegedly raped by more than 10 people and was violated more than 30 times by the suspects, which included a 38-year-old father, his two sons and other relatives.
All have since been remanded.
Norazman said the victim's father had declined counselling for his daughter and just asked for his family to be left alone.