KOTA TINGGI - The surau (place of worship) in a resort in Sedili Besar near here that became the centre of controversy recently has been demolished.
The demolition works at the light-yellow and white building began at around 9.30am yesterday.
By 5pm, the structure was just a heap of stones on the ground.
Using an excavator, the demolition works were carried out by five Indonesian workers and a supervisor.
The controversy started after an 85-second video clip showing a group of Singaporean Buddhist tourists conducting meditation activities in the surau was uploaded on YouTube last month.
Supervisor Andy Law said that the resort owner had contacted his boss, who is also his brother, at around noon on Tuesday about the job to immediately tear down the surau.
Law described the owner of the resort as being their regular customer for the past 10 years.
"It is quite ironic as I was the one operating the excavator to clear this plot of land before the surau was built, and now I am the one tearing it down," he said when met by The Star at the location yesterday.