KOTA KINABALU - In view of the continuing threat of cross border crimes in the state, police have again extended the dusk to dawn curfew that was implemented to tackle sea border issues.
Sabah police commissioner Datuk Jalaluddin Abdul Rahman said the 7pm to 5am sea curfew had been extended from June 3 to 17 under Section 31(4) of the Police Act.
He said the continuation of the curfew that had been in place for over 10 months was to ensure the continued security and safety of tourists, fishermen and the people in the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (Esszone).
He said security forces were also better placed to monitor any group trying to enter the east coast waters illegally to carry out cross-border crimes such as human and firearms smuggling.
Jalaluddin said the sea curfew had the support of resort operators and the fishing industry as it had been effective in maintaining security in the area which was hit by at least three cross-border kidnappings last year.
The curfew was implemented on July 18 last year in Esszone in the wake of the July 12, 2014 attack on the Mabul Water Bungalows in Semporna.
The latest kidnapping on May 14 this year involved two Malaysian Chinese, Sabahan restaurateur Thien Nyuk Fun, 50, and Sarawakian Bernard Then Ted Fen, 39, from the Ocean King Seafood Restaurant.