Selangor cancels New Year programmes due to floods

Selangor cancels New Year programmes due to floods

SHAH ALAM - The Selangor government has cancelled all New Year entertainment programmes and celebrations as a mark of respect for the thousands of people affected by floods in several states.

Selangor Mentri Besar Azmin Ali said the various activities under Temasya Selangor 15 programmes for the New Year have been halted.

"We also have ordered the Shah Alam City Council to cancel the Jom Heboh programme organised by TV3 scheduled on Dec 27 and 28 at i-City Shah Alam, based on the same principles," he told reporters at the state secretary building Friday, before leaving for Kota Baru, Kelantan to help flood victims.

Azmin said he also discussed with the state Islamic Religious Department (Jais) and ordered each mosque to carry out solat hajat to pray for the safety of those affected by floods.

More than 100,000 people have so far been displaced by floods in Kelantan, Terengganu, Pahang and Perak, and the situation is worsening.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.