Singaporean fined for hitting dog in viral video: guard wants his dog back

Singaporean fined for hitting dog in viral video: guard wants his dog back
PHOTO: Sin Chew Daily/Asia News Network

PETALING JAYA - Furby the dog may have had its day in court, but all its owner wants is to be reunited with his beloved pet.

Head security guard M. Siva, 40, is happy that the abuser of the white-chocolate male mongrel was slapped with an RM8,000 fine.

However, he is missing Furby terribly, which has been in the care of the Veterinary Services Depart­ment for about nine months.

"While I'm happy with how the case ended, I will be even happier when Furby is returned to me," he said when contacted.

So far, Siva said, there was no word from the department about that.

"The dog belongs to me. Of course, I want him back. Although the case is settled, I don't know whether or not they will return the dog.

"No one has called me until now. I love him," Siva said.

Siva is a guard at Taman Melody, Bandar Kinrara, Puchong, where Singaporean businessman Yee Kok Chew, 57, repeatedly bashed the dog with a crash helmet at the guardhouse on April 2 last year.

Yee's act was captured on video and the clip quickly went viral on social media.

"I'm very happy because even a dog was given justice by the court," said Siva.

"It shows that justice is not only for humans but also for animals. Only a pet owner would know how this victory feels."

Siva claimed he had not visited Furby since the dog was put in the department's care.

"I was not allowed to see him because he was involved in a court matter," he added.

Attempts by The Star to get comments from the department and the Agriculture and Agro-Based Indus­try Ministry were unsuccessful.

Furby was not a guard dog, Siva explained.

"He was kept at the guardhouse because he lives in a flat that is not animal-friendly."

Shortly after the incident, in an exclusive interview with The Star, Yee apologised for his actions, saying he "just snapped that day".

US-based outdoor gear manufacturer Osprey Packs severed ties with Yee's Tearproof Sdn Bhd company as its distributor after his attack on the dog.

Yee was charged under Section 44(1)(a) of the Animals Act 1953 (Revised 2006) read together with the Animals Act (Amendment 2013), which provides for a fine of up to RM50,000 or a jail term not exceeding one year, or both, upon conviction.

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.