KLANG, Malaysia - Based on intelligence reports, should there be a strike from IS, it will be along the Sulu straits, said Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein.
Given this, he said a meeting would be held with the Prime Minister, who is also Finance Minister, to discuss on allocating appropriate funds under the next budget for the purpose of safeguarding Malaysian waters.
"The threat in Sabah cannot be looked at the same way anymore. Now, we have to see threats beyond kidnapping," he said, adding that reports on the latest information of the terrorist group would be shared among the neighbouring countries.
Citing that IS was using a "non-traditional" approach to recruit members, Hishammuddin said it required the collaboration of defence authorities all over the world to solve the matter.
"This is a real threat, a new and sophisticated one which uses social media for recruiting purpose, and it, therefore, tells us that it is a global problem that needs to be addressed immediately," he told reporters after the Klang Umno division meeting yesterday.
He was commenting on The Star's exclusive report on Tuesday about the arrest of three would-be Malaysian militants at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport.
They were enlisted into IS by a senior Malaysian militant who used Facebook to lure members.
In Bukit Gantang, Hishammuddin said more ships would be sent to Perth, Australia, to continue the search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370.
He added that Malaysia, together with its Chinese and Australian counterparts, would continue their trilateral ties to enter into the second phase of the search after a meeting in China earlier this week.
"This is our assurance to the families of those on board MH370 that we will continue until we find the airplane," he said at a press conference after opening the Bukit Gantang Umno AGM at the ADTEC hall in Kamunting yesterday.