KOTA KINABALU - Police have initiated investigations into a purported letter written by Sulu militants warning that they will return to Sabah's interior Tambunan for a revenge attack.
Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib said they were trying to trace the source of the letter even though it might not have anything to do with the Sulu intrusion in Lahad Datu earlier this year.
"We have started our own investigations even though there have been no official reports," Hamza said yesterday.
He said police did not believe that the author of the letter had any links to Sulu militants and had acted on his own as there were doubts on the letter's authenticity.
The July 3 letter, signed by Militant Commandos on behalf of the Sulu Sultanate/Kiram family, was sent to the Tambunan district officer, police officers and the people of Tambunan.
It warned them that they want to start a war in the district between this month and August in retaliation for the war in Kg Tanduo, Lahad Datu.
Hamza said police and security forces took all threats seriously and would investigate them.
Deputy Chief Minister Tan Sri Joseph Pairin Kitingan, who is Tambunan assemblyman and Keningau MP, urged the authorities to investigate the letter thoroughly despite its doubtful nature.
"This is something we cannot take lightly," he said.
Pairin hoped the police would find the source of the letter and take appropriate action.
|Philippine sultan infuriates two countries: Find out the backstory
Click on thumbnail to view (Photos: AFP, Reuters, The Star/ANN)