YAN - A 15-year-old student braved raging flames when he rushed back into his burning hostel to rescue his younger brother during an early morning fire.
Amid the fire and smoke, Munzil Shaharuddin found the 10-year-old boy trapped in his bed with the mosquito net around him ablaze.
The heat of the fire had by then burnt Muhammad Amir's head, hands and body.
The religious school student said he had rushed out of the hostel on hearing shouts that the building was on fire.
"I heard my brother crying when I got outside and I immediately dashed back into the hostel. My brother was in shock sitting on his bed with the netting burning around him.
"I thank God for letting me hear my brother's cries. Muhammad Amir could have been killed as the fire spread very fast and engulfed the hostel block in a short while," he said.
During the incident yesterday, two other students - Ahmad Luqman Suhaimi, 15, and Muhammad Ikmal Hakim Iswan, 10 - also sustained burns when fire razed the SM Agama Raudhatut Tahfiz boys hostel near here.
State Fire and Rescue Department public relations officer Nurhafizah Muhammad Lukman said 15 personnel rushed to the school at Km12 Jalan Gunung Jerai upon receiving the alert at 3.06am.
The fire was brought under control some 38 minutes later.
He said that at the time of the fire, about 90 students aged between seven and 17 were staying in the hostel. Female students in a separate building were also evacuated when the fire broke out at the male dormitory.
The school's hostel supervisor Zamri Ibrahim said the wooden hostel as well as a canvas tent surau were destroyed in the fire.
Muhammad Amir and Ahmad Luqman have been transferred to Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital for further treatment while Muhammad Ikmal received outpatient treatment at Yan Hospital.