Three in family die in blaze

Three in family die in blaze
The house fully-ablaze where Meng Huat, Sim Yen and Jia Wai died at Kampung Teluk Rhu in Sabak Bernam.

SABAK BERNAM: Her daughter's scream of terror after being trapped in their burning house will remain a nightmare for shop owner Cheong Chai Fong.

Cheong, 52, said she was away at her shop, where she sells processed coconut milk, when she received a frantic call from her daughter Goh Sim Yen at 2.14am yesterday.

Sim Yen, 33, was trapped inside the house with her seven-year-old son Tan Jia Wai and her father Goh Meng Huat, 70.

All three died in the fire which razed the semi-wooden double storey house in Kampung Teluk Rhu.

"My daughter was crying and screaming that there was a fire in our home and that she was trapped. I could also hear my grandson crying in the background."

"I rushed home with my worker and kept on trying to contact my daughter on the way there but my calls did not go through," said a distraught Cheong.

Cheong said she arrived home from her shop, which was 7km away at the Bagan Nakhoda Omar village, within 15 minutes.

By then, the fire was raging and there was no sign of her family.

There was nothing she could do but watch in horror as firemen tried to contain the fire.

Sim Yen's younger sister, Mei Leng, 30, said her sister, a housewife, had just returned to their village home with her son two weeks ago.

"It is devastating for us to lose three family members in just one night," said Mei Leng, who lives in Kuala Lumpur.

She said the remains of her father, sister and nephew would be placed at a funeral parlour near Bagan Nakhoda Omar village for three days before cremation.

Selangor Fire and Rescue Depart-ment's fire forensics assistant director Zakaria Muhd said the victims were badly burnt when they were found.

A fourth victim, a Bangladeshi worker, managed to run to safety but fainted nearby, believed to be due to excessive smoke inhalation. He was rushed to Hospital Tengku Ampuan Jemaah.

Two lorries and a car that were near the house were also destroyed.

Zakaria did not rule out the possibility of arson.

"We found traces of hydrocarbons from the scene and have collected trace evidence for lab analysis," he said, adding that hydrocarbon was present in products such as diesel and aerosols.

"The lab analysis will tell from where these hydrocarbons came from," he said.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.