Thugs steal sunglasses, bash up manager in KL's Times Square

Thugs steal sunglasses, bash up manager in KL's Times Square
The victim, who was allegedly beaten up by a group of four to five men in Berjaya Times Square, being treated at the Prince Court Medical Centre.

KUALA LUMPUR - A manager of an optical shop in Berjaya Times Square was beaten up by a group of men after he confronted them about a pair of sunglasses that were missing from a display section.

His wife, who wanted to be known only as Mrs Lim, said the 34-year-old sales manager was on duty when a group of four to five men entered the shop between 9.30pm and 9.45pm on Friday. She said she was at a nearby optical shop, waiting for her husband to end his shift.

"He was working with another female colleague. The rest of his colleagues were off-duty.

"The group entered the shop and left after walking around for a while.

"My husband and his colleague then noticed that a pair of sunglasses were missing from the display section," said the housewife.

Mrs Lim said her husband's colleague started screaming "pencuri (thief)!" as he chased after the group.

"He approached them to ask about the missing sunglasses," she explained.

A 27-year-old payroll officer, who wanted to be known only as Carmen, was shopping at a personal care store nearby when she noticed the commotion.

"I went out to have a look and saw one of the men shouting a vulgar word at the sales manager.

"He then shoved the manager to the ground and the group started assaulting him.

"They were kicking him like a football for about a minute. He had no chance of fighting back," she said.

Carmen added that there were other witnesses at the scene but no one dared to stop the assault, including the security guard at the personal care store.

"They walked away after beating him up. Another security guard came over and escorted him into the optical shop after they left.

"There was a lot of blood coming out of his nose," she said.

The victim was sent to Prince Court Medical Centre for treatment.

A police report has been lodged at the Tun H.S. Lee station.

Dang Wangi CID chief Depty Supt M. Gunalan confirmed the incident and said that police are working on identifying the suspects.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.