KOTA KINABALU - A week-long absence of tremors on Mount Kinabalu is not an indication that the aftershocks of the June 5 earthquake have ceased, says a geologist.
Prof Felix Tongkul said it was still "too early to be certain".
The aftershocks could occur even after a month of no activity, said Prof Tongkul of Universiti Malaysia Sabah.
"We have to wait. If there are no tremors for about two months, then perhaps we can say more confidently that the situation has stabilised," he added.
The mountain had been rattled by more than 100 aftershocks following the earthquake that caused avalanches of boulders and rocks, killing 18 people.
On the proposed installation of seismic sensing station on the mountain, Prof Tongkul said he had forwarded the suggestions to the state Tourism, Culture and Environment Ministry.
Prof Tongkul said the mini seismic monitoring system would pick up movements on Mount Kinabalu and relay the data to the centre - either at the Kinabalu Park headquarters or any other location.
"Such equipment is needed because even if there are no more quakes or aftershocks, small movements on the mountain are still possible," Prof Tongkul said.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak gave the greenlight for the installation of the seismic equipment on the mountain during a visit to the Kinabalu Park just days after the earthquake.