PETALING JAYA - No Malaysians have been reported to be part of the 116 feared dead after an Indonesian air force transport plane crashed in Medan, Indonesia shortly after take-off.
The Foreign Ministry said in a statement Tuesday that a check with the Consulate General of Malaysia in Medan has confirmed that so far, no Malaysians were found to be involved in the tragedy.
The Ministry, however said it would continue to monitor the situation.
"Malaysia wishes to extend its deep sympathy and heartfelt condolences to the government and people of the Republic of Indonesia, especially the bereaved family members on their loss," said the Ministry in the statement.
The Ministry said members of the public could contact the Malaysian Consulate General in Medan, Indonesia at +62-8126 0360 008 and the Ministry's duty officer at 03-8887 4570 / 03-8887 4770.
The crash, which occurred earlier on Tuesday, saw buildings left in ruins and cars reduced to flaming wrecks when the Hercules C-130 came down in a residential area of Medan, a city with a population of two million on the island of Sumatra.
All on board are feared dead and so far 49 bodies had been recovered and taken to hospital.