Woman found dead in Penang hotel room, 10-year-old son fighting for his life

Woman found dead in Penang hotel room, 10-year-old son fighting for his life
PHOTO: The Star/Asia News Network

GEORGE TOWN - A woman found dead in a hotel room must have succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning. And her 10-year-old son is fighting for his life.

George Town OCPD Asst Comm Che Zaimani Che Awang said the boy was still unconscious. He is receiving treatment at Penang Hospital.

"According to the medical officer, the victim suffered kidney failure as well as damage to the liver and lungs due to inhalation of smoke," he said, citing the post-mortem report yesterday.

The 28-year-old woman died in the hotel room at Macalister Road on Tuesday.

Her son was beside her, unconscious.

It was reported that a hotel employee had to break down the door to gain access into the room at 2pm on the same day when no one answered the door.

The mother, who checked into the hotel on Monday, was supposed to leave at noon on Tuesday.

There was burnt charcoal in the room and the smell of smoke.

Police have classified the case as sudden death.

HELPLINES
  • Samaritans of Singapore (SOS): 1800-2214444
  • Singapore Association for Mental Health: 1800-2837019
  • Sage Counselling Centre: 1800-5555555
  • Care Corner Mandarin Counselling: 1800-3535800

More about

Suicides
Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDED CONTENT

SPONSORED CONTENT

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.