BANGI - The woman who forced two of her children to swallow an insecticide-laced drink had marital problems and had constant rows with her husband, according to neighbours.
Residents near the 31-year-old woman's apartment in Bandar Bukit Mahkota said they rarely saw her husband, adding that he seldom came home.
"But when the husband did come home, they would get into a big fight all the time," said a neighbour who wanted to remain anonymous.
The couple, said the neighbour, had been fighting the day before the incident with the children.
On Monday, the woman had mixed insecticide with soft drinks and fed the concoction to the children - a 10-year-old daughter and an 11-year-old son - at their home.
The woman also swallowed some of the poisoned drink.
The daughter died on Thursday despite receiving treatment at a hospital while her brother is reported to be in stable condition.
The woman also survived and has regained consciousness but is still in no condition to be questioned, said police.
Police are trying to contact the husband to take his statement.