SingTel fire: 60,000 customers to be compensated

SingTel fire: 60,000 customers to be compensated

Singtel said it would compensate as many as 60,000 home customers whose broadband Internet was crippled for days due to a fire at one of its exchange facilities. But some affected subscribers were not appeased.

Affected customers will get a speed boost for the next three months, the telco told The Straits Times on Monday. For instance, those on a 200Mbps plan will get bumped up to 300Mbps for free.

The 44,000 customers who had their mioTV service disrupted will be given a month's worth of free viewing of all channels.

Those whose fixed voice lines went down will get one month's worth of free local calls.

"We are very sorry about this... while we cannot reverse the events that have taken place in the last few days, we'd really like to thank our customers for their patience and their understanding," said Mr Yuen Kuan Moon, chief executive of SingTel's consumer division here.

Many affected subscribers The Straits Times spoke to did not seem assuaged by the telco's offer. Civil servant Sallihin Othman, whose broadband connection was down for 36 hours, said he had been expecting "a much more significant compensation".

The 28-year-old resorted to using his mobile data connection during the outage. "I think customers would have been happier to get broadband or mobile data bills waived, at least for that period of time," he said.

Writing on The Straits Times' Facebook page, Mr Wee Kheng Leong said the compensation had "no loss on SingTel's side and little real gains on the user's side".

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.