1. Never go for an oil massage or apply moisturiser before you pole-dance. Also, the more exposed the skin, the better, as there needs to be as much traction between skin and pole as possible.
2. Spectacles and jewellery are no-nos during exercise as they can scratch you or get caught in clothing.
3. The forearms, thighs and obliques are the muscles that are most taxed in pole-dancing. A woman weighing about 55kg can burn up to 400 calories an hour during a routine.
4. In 2010, a freak accident left Mrs Debbie Plowman, a 32-year-old mother of two from York, England, paralysed. She was hanging upside down from the pole when she fell, breaking her neck and severely injuring her spine.
5. In 2009, a pole-dancing segment was featured at the National Day Parade.
Get The New Paper for more stories.