Mother of scalded infant: 'I could hear his cries through glass'

Mother of scalded infant: 'I could hear his cries through glass'

Her husband had dropped off their baby boy at the infant care centre as he did every morning before going off to work.

Twenty minutes later, the parents received a call asking them to go to the centre and get their six-month-old baby.

"The teacher said she had accidentally scalded him with her coffee," said the infant's mother, who wanted to be known only as Mrs Pang. The baby, Nick, suffered second-degree burns. He also developed a fever of 38.1 deg C, said Mrs Pang, 29, a freelance hair stylist.

The incident happened at Little Wings, a PAP Community Foundation (PCF) childcare centre in Jurong West, last Wednesday.

Mrs Pang said that it was only on Saturday that her son, the youngest of three children, was well enough to be seen by a burns specialist at KK Women's and Children's Hospital. He was also seen on Monday for a follow-up and dressing change.

Blisters

A second-degree burn is when the first layer of skin has been burned through and the second layer of skin or dermis is also burned.

Typically, blisters develop and the skin takes on an intensely reddened, splotchy appearance. There is usually severe pain and swelling.

Mrs Pang said that after the phone call, she and her husband rushed to the centre.

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.