OECD: S'pore's education system leaves no-one behind

OECD: S'pore's education system leaves no-one behind

The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) has praised Singapore's education system after its recent success in the triennial Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA).

The Telegraph reported that Singapore's "fiercely meritocratic" system splits its primary school pupils where 60 per cent go on to focus on academics and the other 40 per cent are further split to "either move at a slower pace or enter vocational and technical training".

The OECD also recognised that Singapore's vocational education system is probably "the best in the world," The Telegraph reported.

The daily also pointed out that late bloomers can switch streams to catch up.

The paper then goes on to point out that the government has also played a part in easing an over-emphasis on academia, when the Ministry of Education decided to not name the top scorers of the national exams.

They also reported on Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's "Teach less, Learn More" initiative in 2004, as "part of a plan to encourage creativity rather than rote-learning".

The report by the British daily also claimed that the success of the students may be linked to notion "that higher salaries for teachers are more important than smaller classes in terms of improving performances".

The paper also pointed out that Singapore ensures that "teachers are paid competitively", where 23 per cent of public spending is spent on education. It also claims that the entry-level pay of a teacher is equivalent to that of an engineer.

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.