At least two schools have postponed overseas educational trips to Vietnam and Thailand in response to recent violence there.
The New Paper understands that Anglo-Chinese School (Independent) and Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road) have rescheduled trips slated to have begun this weekend.
In a letter to parents, ACS(I) principal Winston Hodge said the trips to Vietnam were postponed as a precaution.
He added that this was to ensure the safety and well-being of the school's students and teachers.
It is not known when the trips may take place.
In a similar move, ACS (Barker Road) announced the postponement on Friday - a day before its Secondary 3 students would have left on educational trips to Chiang Mai and Ho Chi Minh City.
Trips to other destinations for both schools have not been affected.
Tensions between Vietnam and China erupted earlier this month after a Chinese oil rig was moved to disputed waters in the South China Sea on May 1.
Vietnamese rioters attacked many foreign-owned factories in Vietnam - leaving at least two dead - and even burned a Singapore flag, which they apparently mistook for the flag of China.
In Thailand, political unrest has been on the boil since last November, and a recent anti-government protest left three people dead.
The Straits Times reported that at least 28 have been killed and hundreds injured since the turmoil began.
While the schools' students may be disappointed that they have to resume lessons as their peers fly off, parents are relieved at the decision.
Madam Dolly Chua, who has a son at one of the schools, said: "It's the most sensible decision.
"No parent could have peace of mind if they went ahead (with the trips)."
Another parent, who did not want to be named, added: "Even if we have to pay more for the rescheduled trips, it's worth it. Safety first!"
This article was published on May 18 in The New Paper.
Get The New Paper for more stories.