Plans for IPPT boot camp deferred

Plans for IPPT boot camp deferred
PHOTO: TNP

Last Saturday's report ("SAF shelves boot camp plans for IPPT defaulters") was inaccurate and misleading.

The in-camp training (physical training), or ICT(PT), for repeat Individual Physical Proficiency Test (IPPT) defaulters, previously announced to begin early this year, has not been shelved, but deferred, as the new three-station IPPT format was introduced this year.

The Singapore Armed Forces will provide a transition period for all operationally ready national servicemen (NSmen), including those who failed or defaulted on the previous five-station IPPT format, to have adequate time to train for and attempt the new IPPT format.

Initial results in the new format have shown better individual performance and pass rates by soldiers.

It is the responsibility of all NSmen to maintain their physical fitness, and the present system of assisting those who cannot pass their IPPT through remedial sessions and the ICT(PT) for repeat defaulters will continue.

Ng Ying Thong (Colonel)

Assistant Chief of General Staff (Training)

Singapore Armed Forces

EDITOR'S NOTE:

Our report was based on our knowledge that the new disciplinary regime was to have started in January.

This did not happen.

References to the disciplinary actions for IPPT defaulters were also removed from the Ministry of Defence's (Mindef) website.

When asked whether the boot camp would be scrapped or replaced with new penalties, we were told that the disciplinary framework for IPPT defaulters would be reviewed.

Hence, our report said the plans had been shelved.


This article was first published on June 19, 2015.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

More about

IPPT
Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.