Bali accident not expected to affect tourist visits

Bali accident not expected to affect tourist visits

The provincial administration and the tourist industry do not expect the recent accident that caused the deaths of six people - four of whom were Chinese tourists - to affect foreign tourists' interest in visiting Bali in the future.

Bali Tourism Agency head Ida Bagus Kade Subhiksu expressed concern over the accident, which happened in Pecatu in South Kuta on Monday, saying it as the worst tourist accident on the island.

Previously the worst accident was in the 1980s when a tourist bus burned in Kintamani, Bangli.

"This is the biggest accident in terms of number of tourists killed. We have and will always communicate with all stakeholders, and also demand travel agents' responsibility, as well as monitor their permits," Subhiksu said Tuesday.

Subhiksu was optimistic that the case would not have a negative impact on the industry as a whole, as long as the investigation remained transparent and responsible parties were held accountable.

He reminded people to opt for licensed travel agents, as they were more reliable, including ensuring customers' insurance.

"Cases with casualties, including those involving unlicensed travel agents, get resolved, including insurance claims and everything. But it takes longer when it comes to unlicensed ones," he said.

Bali Tourism Transportation Association (Pawiba) chairman Bagus Soediana said that owner of the fatal bus was not one of his members. The bus was operated by Happy Bali Tour and Travel.

The Association of Indonesian Tour and Travel Agencies (Asita) marketing head, Eddy Sanyoto, said that the bus was recorded as belonging to PT Grand Panorama Indonesia, which is a member of Asita.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.