Escape from burning hostel

Escape from burning hostel
HURT: Most of the casualties, including Singaporean and Malaysian tourists, of the Sunday morning fire at a Hong Kong hostel were treated for smoke inhalation.

HONG KONG - Several tourists from Singapore and Malaysia were among 25 people injured - seven critically - in a fire that raced through a residential building in Hong Kong on Sunday.

They were staying at Yesinn Hostel in the 24-floor Continental Mansion on Cheung Hong Street.

Seven of the injured were in critical condition in hospital with another six listed as serious, as a result of smoke inhalation, reported South China Morning Post (SCMP).

Another six are in stable condition, while the others have been discharged.

The blaze started at 7.23am when construction material in the building's back alley caught fire.

A married couple from Singapore, who stayed at the Yesinn hostel, told Hong Kong's The Standard: "The blaze was fierce and there was thick black smoke in the corridor.

"We tried to walk down the stairs, but it was very dark everywhere and we couldn't see."

The couple, known as Mr and Mrs Toh, faced a wall of smoke when they tried to escape from their room on the third floor, reported Hong Kong's Ming Pao.

Using a lighter, they made their way to the fifth floor where they found a fire escape.

It was their first trip to Hong Kong.

Another Singaporean, a 20-year-old man, also on his first visit to Hong Kong, said his room was near the source of the fire and he had passed out after breathing in too much smoke, reported Hong Kong's Oriental Daily.

He was eventually rescued by firefighters and woke up in hospital completely covered in soot. The hostel's third floor units were blanketed in smoke, which quickly filled the stairwells, preventing guests from fleeing.

Yesinn Hostel is a licensed guest house which conducts business on the third, fifth, 10th and 15th floors. Its staff are all from the Philippines.

The tourists and residents were asleep when the fire broke out. Most were evacuated by firemen.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.