Police section man after Manchester airport bomb scare

Police section man after Manchester airport bomb scare
Passengers disembark from a Qatar Airways aircraft after a man was escorted off the plane by police at Manchester airport in Manchester, northern England August 5, 2014

LONDON - Police said on Wednesday that a 47-year-old man who was arrested on suspicion of making a hoax bomb threat on a flight into Manchester airport had been sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

Britain scrambled two fighter jets on Tuesday to escort a Qatar Airways plane into Manchester after the pilot reported a possible explosive device on board, briefly raising fears of a terrorism attack and prompting authorities to close the airport for 25 minutes.

A Reuters photographer saw armed police remove a handcuffed male passenger dressed in baggy trousers and a sports shirt from the plane, flight QR23 from Doha to Manchester. The Airbus A330-300 had 269 passengers and 13 crew on board.

"Following his arrest he was assessed by medical staff and again by a mental health team," Greater Manchester Police said in a statement. "He was subsequently sectioned to allow for a fuller assessment and appropriate treatment," it added.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.