Semporna kidnap: Esscom to weed out moles from tourist hotspots

Semporna kidnap: Esscom to weed out moles from tourist hotspots

KOTA KINABALU - Efforts will soon be taken to ensure that no one, especially foreign workers in resorts and other tourist destinations in Sabah's east coast, pose a threat to the country.

Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) Director General Datuk Mohammad Mentek said an operation to clear the east coast area of moles or informers of cross-border criminals would be conducted very soon.

"There will be an operation carried out at all islands and resorts in all 10 districts under the jurisdiction of Esscom," he said in a statement on Saturday.

This comes after two foreigners, a 40-year-old Filipina employee Marcy Darawan and 29-year-old Chinese tourist Gao Huayuan, were kidnapped from the Singamata Reef Resort off Semporna at about 10.30pm on April 20.

Mentek said there will be no compromise for operators hiring undocumented foreigners, as enough sufficient reminders have been issued, especially after the Pom-Pom Island kidnapping incident in November last year.

"We will also advice operators to install CCTVs and hire security guards to better safeguard their premises and to ensure the safety of their guests," he explained.

Mentek said it was up to everyone to ensure the safety of tourists who come to visit and to ensure the security of Sabah's east coast.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDED CONTENT

SPONSORED CONTENT

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.