KUALA LUMPUR - The balik kampung exodus has seen an increase in minor fender benders but fewer fatal accidents.
Federal Traffic chief Senior Asst Comm Mohd Fuad Abdul Latiff said more than 8,000 accidents had been reported nationwide over the last six days by the 5,693 officers working round the clock to ensure safer roads under Ops Selamat.
"We have received many complaints that traffic has been heavier than usual on the major highways.
"The number of accidents has increased but there have been fewer fatalities."
A total of 86 road deaths have been recorded under Ops Selamat, since it was launched on July 21.
Traffic police have issued 82,811 summonses nationwide since the operation began.
SAC Mohd Fuad advised motorists to abide by traffic laws and have common courtesy while on the road, citing complaints of motorists clogging up emergency lanes on highways.
PLUS Malaysia said it expected over 1.5 million road users on the North-South Expressway during the balik kampung exodus and traffic flow to return to normal by the first and second day of Hari Raya.
It urged motorists to plan their trip back to their hometowns based on its travel time advisory (TTA), aimed at reducing traffic congestion during peak periods.