Racing buddies pay tribute to helpful self-funding racer

Racing buddies pay tribute to helpful self-funding racer

He was an experienced motorcyclist and a careful racer.

So careful that when news broke on Sunday that Singaporean biker Milton Poh Kim Seng, 41 , had crashed, his family couldn't believe he had died.

A close relative, who declined to be named, told The New Paper yesterday: "It was a freak accident. I was shocked when I found out about it."

Mr Poh, who was a leading steward with Singapore Airlines (SIA), was killed in an accident at the Sepang International Circuit (SIC) while racing in the Malaysian Super Series (MSS).

He was involved in a crash with Italian racer Leonardo Sacchetto, 42, shortly after the race flagged off at around 12.30pm. He was riding a BMW S1000RR at the time.

It was the four-day event's second fatal accident.

Malaysian rider Amaludin Abd Rahman, 42, was killed at a practice session last Friday.

The SIC said that Mr Poh suffered head injuries, while the Italian injured his leg. Both were taken to Putrajaya Hospital, about 30km away.

Malaysian police are investigating, following a police report made by the race organisers.

"It was an unfortunate week for all those involved in the MSS, and the SIC extends its deepest condolences to the family and friends of the deceased," said the SIC.

Online news portal Utusan Malaysia Online reported that the police chief of the area, Superintendent Mohd Yusoff Awang, said Mr Poh was pronounced dead at the hospital at around 2.30pm on Sunday. He is believed to have died from head injuries.

His close relative, aged 55, told TNP at Mr Poh's Ang Mo Kio flat yesterday that Mr Poh used to race in the region about five times a year for the past decade or so. He added that Mr Poh, who was single, came from a family of bikers.

He was hooked on bike racing shortly after getting his riding licence more than 20 years ago.

"Milton's elder brother, Martin, is a rider and their father used to be one too."

They have no other siblings.

"Martin was in Malaysia at the event when the accident took place," said the relative.

"I was at home on Sunday when he phoned me about the tragedy. I was the one who told their parents about it. He did not want to tell them the bad news over the phone."

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.