SINGAPORE - After creating over 230 cocktails across four high-intensity challenges, it was Peter Chua's night. The bartender at cocktail bar 28 Hong Kong St proved to be unbeatable at the inaugural Diageo Reserve World Class South East Asia Finals as he was crowned both Singapore and SEA World Class Bartender of the Year 2014.
Over two days, 26 of the region's top bartenders were tested to their limits under the intense scrutiny of six renowned judges.
Singapore was on a winning streak as Mark Graham Thomas, Bacchanalia, not only walked away with the coveted 'Speed Challenge' title, but Team Singapore was presented with the first ever SEA Country Cup. The Country Cup was awarded to the team who worked collectively to achieve the highest score over the four challenges, according to Diageo Reserve World Class.
"I'm ecstatic! Competition was stiff, everyone did so well and I had no idea that I had won. I was completely overwhelmed. I will be going to celebrate tonight with a Negroni and am definitely going to have a good night's rest," said Chua.
The Diageo Reserve World Class SEA Winners are:
- SEA Best Bartender of Year 2014: Peter Chua from 28 Hong Kong St
- Best Bartender of Year 2014, Singapore: Peter Chua from 28 Hong Kong St
- Best Bartender of Year 2014, Malaysia: Leow Yinying from Marini's on 57
- Best Bartender of Year 2014, Indonesia: I Gusti Salit from Woo Bar Bali, Indonesia
- Best Bartender of Year 2014, Thailand: Ronnaporn Kanivichaporn from Roof Hideaway, Thailand
- Best Bartender of Year 2014, Vietnam: Le Thanh Tung from Chill Sky Bar, Vietnam
- Best Bartender of Year 2014, Philippines: Joma Riveria from The Curator, Philippines
- SEA Country Cup 2014: Singapore (Tom Hogan and Bannie Kang from Anti:dote, Mark Graham Thomas from Bacchanalia; Peter Chua from 28 Hong Kong St)
- Ketel One Market Challenge 2014 (SEA): Sarawut Pinpech from Four Seasons Hotel Bangkok, Thailand
- Johnnie Walker Flavour Challenge 2014 (SEA): Pongpak Sudthipongse from Why 97, Thailand
- Cocktails against the Clock Challenge 2014 (SEA): Mark Graham Thomas from Bacchanalia, Singapore
- Signature Batch Cocktails Challenge 2014 (SEA): Peter Chua from 28 Hong Kong St, Singapore
Purchase this article for republication.