When you graze at the Ritz-Carlton Singapore, it's easy to go mad about cow in huge epicurean proportions.
After crashing into gourmet news with a behemoth leg of Wagyu to feed besotted Sunday brunch hordes several years ago, the hotel's Greenhouse restaurant has increased its beefy temptations with a Wednesday buffet dinner for those who want to go more bovine.
Trundle from station to station as you chomp a repertoire of well-executed classics ranging from the commonly approachable (Spicy Tomato Beef Balls, Cottage Beef Pie, Chilled English Roast Beef, and Beef Stew in Bordeaux Wine Sauce) to the heavier and superior choices (highly recommended 36-hour Braised Beef Shank, Grade Five Wagyu Beef Tomahawk, and Grade Five Black Angus Beef Wellington).
Say 'graze' and start small with the petite Wagyu Burger before taking on bigger challenges, mostly if not all, from selected Australian cattle. Two handsome stars rule the pasture here - the magnificently braised Beef Shank and smartly coiffured Beef Wellington, a big player in the hotel's Chihuly Lounge's elegant afternoon tea with champagne.
The hotel is so proud of its beef creations that it is proffering them again alongside many other delights at its Longest Super Brunch today (October 27), current Autumn Sunday brunch and Christmas buffets in December.
Even on the beef-centric night on Wednesdays, there are many other temptations like seafood (like freshly shucked oysters, whole fish cooked Chinese style, butter crabs, sashimi), appetisers, salads, Indian selections, local fare like Laksa and Cheng Tng soup, French-style pastries, desserts, icecreams and sorbets.
The cheeses at the always pleasurable seafood nights onFriday and Saturday, and of course, its immensely larger spread at the Sunday brunch, are among the finest at restaurants.
With the renovation of rooms and the club lounge at the hotel, you can expect the Greenhouse to get a facelift too. And my wish-list for additions to the menu: US Prime and Japanese Wagyu for fans willing to pay more. - Chen Jingwen, AsiaOne
Don't miss these epicurean highlights:
SuperBrunch10 : One Giant Vaudeville (Information from Ritz-Carlton Millenia Singapore)
The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore presents the tenth instalment of bi-annual SuperBrunch on Sunday, 27 October 2013.
Having established itself as one of the most decadent vintage Champagne Sunday brunches in the region, SuperBrunch10 vaudeville to a new level, diners will enjoy giant 10kg burgers - Kurobuta & Truffle, Pheasant & Foie Gras and Venison & Vacherin Mont D'Or Cheese, a metre-long Serrano Ham, Porcini and Truffle Hotdog and tasting with eight varieties of gourmet home-made Popcorn such as Saffron, Black Truffle and Piment d'Espelette (French Chilli Pepper).
From a grand ringmaster as the master of ceremonies, magicians presenting cocktails, stilt-walkers sharing sweets and jugglers tossing up salads, magic is weaved into culinary art for an afternoon of fantastic delights and is set to be the most memorable and fun edition in October.
Taking Established as the most lavish Sunday Brunch in the region, new presentations on 27 October will include Foie Gras, Cuisses de Grenouilles (frog legs) and Escargot (snails) a la minute while the Cheese Board has been increased to feature 130 cheese varieties.
Diners will also enjoy the newly-introduced Truffle Ring with nine dedicated dishes, bordered by a live mushroom vertical wood wall. Especially for the occasion, a 120kg Mayura Wagyu (Grade 8) Beef Tomahawk from Australia will be dry-aged for 65 days and roasted and coated with Périgord Truffles for the carving board.
"I want guests to have fun at SuperBrunch. Since 2009, SuperBrunch has been about culinary indulgence, craftsmanship and sharing a convivial afternoon with family and friends. This signature event has evolved from showcasing premium ingredients and Michelin-starred guest chefs to a sophisticated culinary theatre that dazzle guests with creativity, aesthetics and the culinary craft of our ladies and gentlemen. We have guests who return for every SuperBrunch and guests who, having seen a SuperBrunch event in action, travelled to Singapore just to attend the next SuperBrunch," says Executive Chef Massimo Pasquarelli.
• New Giant Vaudeville: 120kg Mayura Wagyu Beef Tomahawk (Grade 8), three 10kg burgers featuring Venison & Vacherin Mont D'Or Cheese Poivrade sauce, Pheasants Black Truffle & Foie Gras and Kurubota Pork & Perigord Truffle, a metre-long Serrano ham and truffle hotdog and seven varieties of homemade popcorn (truffle, saffron, black pepper, and more)
• New Truffle Ring: Scrambled Eggs with Mascarpone and Black Truffle, Pigeon Feuilleté with Foie Gras & Truffle, Focaccia with Porcini Mushrooms, Aged Tomme Cheese and Black Truffle
• New Cuisses de Grenouilles & Escargot: Cuisses de Grenouilles sautéed and served with condiments, Escargots à la Bourguignonne (Herb Butter) or Provencal (Tomatoes & Croutons)
• New Organic Eggs a la minute: Served with a choice of Caviar, Truffle, Alaskan Crab or Uni (Sea Urchin)
• New Lobster: Hollandaise, Grilled with Cayenne Pepper & Butter, Thermidor, Américaine with Shallots & Brandy, Flambéed with Cognac, Catalan, Bisque
• New Peranakan: Babi Pontak with Buah Keluak (Pork Belly with Spiced Nuts), Laksa, Gulai Kambing (Lamb Stew), Fish Maw Soup, Ayam Kapitan Buah Keras (Over-baked Chicken)
• Foie Gras: Six varieties of Foie Gras terrine with Dark Chocolate, Pistachio, Strawberry, Mango, Truffle and Porto, pan-fried Foie Gras a la minute • Crustacean: Eight varieties of French, Australian & Canadian oysters, poached Atlantic lobsters, chilled Tiger Prawns, Scallops, Crab, Sashimi and Sushi
• Salmon & Caviar: 11 home-smoked Salmon, Crab Timbale, Ceviche and Caviar
• Cheese: 130 varieties of European cheese served with home-made fruit paste, William pear paste, quince paste, fig paste, green apple chutney, raisin chutney and wine jelly.
• Charcuterie: Iberico De Bellota (30-36 months), Duck Rillete, Saucisson, Lyoner, Jamon and Pancetta
• Sweets: 30 varieties of desserts including Cakes, Mousse, Tarts, Lollies, Donuts, Gelato a Chocolate Fountain, Candy Floss and Toffee Apples
• Other highlights: Pasta a la minute, Tapas, Whole Lamb Ouzi
• Enhancing the selection at the bar is a variety of pastis, wines, cocktails, mocktails and juices. Prices: S$368 per adult (with unlimited Dom Perignon Vintage 2003, selected wine and cocktails) S$228 per adult (with unlimited Moet and Chandon Vintage 2002 Brut and 2003 Rosé, selected wine and cocktails)
Available at Greenhouse and Chihuly Lounge from 12 to 3 p.m., prices are subject to 10 per cent service charge and prevailing government taxes. For reservations, please contact Restaurant Reservations at 6434 5288 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
ELEGANT AUTUMN INDULGENCES TRUFFLE BRUNCH AND VALRHONA CHOCOLATE TEA
Spring into Autumn at Greenhouse and Chihuly Lounge with Sunday Brunch and Weekend Afternoon Tea menus enhanced with the sensual flavours of truffles, spices and chocolate.
AUTUMN VINTAGE CHAMPAGNE SUNDAY BRUNCH
Epicures can look forward to one of the most decadent Vintage Champagne brunch experiences in Singapore with new highlights such as "Truffle Hour" at 1p.m. where a three-metre black truffle-shaving presentation takes centre stage; black truffle will be shaved by hand a la minute over creamy polenta with pecorino cheese and porcini.
Aside from Truffle Hour, brunch classics remain in the buffet and the carving station will feature a new 24-hour Roasted 'Mayura Station' Wagyu Leg, Roasted Venison Loin with Poivrade Sauce, Autumn Vegetables and Truffled Quail with Aged Port; Cranberry Fondue.
Crustaceans on Ice: Chilled Tiger Prawns, Black Mussels, Prairie Clams (New), Bigorneau (New), Bulot (New) Oysters: Eight varieties of French Oysters and Canadian Oysters
Japanese: Sashimi, Sushi, Chawanmushi and Soba Noodles
Charcuterie: Iberico Ham Bellota, Serrano, Homemade Smoked Salmon, Smoked Trout (New), Air Dried Beef (New), Coppa Ham and Smoked Ham Foie Gras: Foie Gras Terrine (New), Foie Gras Parfait, Duck Rillette and Pan Fried Coffee Flavoured Foie Gras with Sauternes Wine Sauce, Figs; Pomegranate Salad (New)
Cheese Board: 50 different cheeses from Australia, England, France, Italy, New Zealand and Switzerland
Desserts: 12 Autumn-inspired Cakes (New), Pastries and Gelato
Unlimited Möet & Chandon Grand Vintage Blanc 2004 and Moët & Chandon NV Rosé, Autumn Cocktails, Selected House Wines, Soft Drinks and Fruit-flavoured Sparkling Mineral Water
Autumn Vintage Champagne Sunday Brunch will be served at Greenhouse from 8 September to 17 November 2013, 12 noon to 3.30 p.m. in a single seating and is priced at SGD 168 per adult, SGD 84 per child (six to 12 years of age) / SGD 42 per child (three to five years of age).
CHIHULY LOUNGE AUTUMN WEEKEND AFTERNOON TEA
Executive Pastry Chef Terence Pang presents ten tempting Valrhona chocolate and nut desserts such as Chocolate Truffle Cake, Ivoire Hazelnuts and Berries Tart and Cheesecake with Gianduja.
Guests may also enjoy an assortment of scones, sandwiches and petit canapés enhanced with the earthy flavours of truffles and spices - Foie Gras Mousse with Mini Pear and Olive Oil Caviar, Roasted Spiced Beef Roll with Wild Mushroom Duxelles and Cornichon and Brie Cheese with Truffled Asparagus in Cereal Roll.
Complement the meal with aromatic coffee or a selection of fine teas served on elegant chic 'Feuille d'or' line of Bernardaud Porcelain imported from France.
The range of over thirty blends of loose leaf teas from the Ronnefeldt tea collection features citrus-flavoured teas like Morning Star and Roibosh lemon. Flavoured black teas - "Wild Cherries" and "Rose Tea with Petals", are as refreshing as fruit-infused "Raspberry Royal" and "Strawberries with Yoghurt" teas.
Autumn Weekend Afternoon Tea will be served from 7 September to 17 November 2013, 2.30 p.m. to 5 p.m. and is priced at SGD 56 per adult (inclusive of freshly brewed and decaffeinated coffee and a selection of teas) / SGD 28 per child (six to 12 years of age).
Prices are subject to 10 per cent service charge and prevailing government taxes. For dining reservations, please call Restaurant Reservations at (65) 6434-5288 or email email@example.com
Contact the writer: firstname.lastname@example.org