VIRGINIA WATER, England - A glum-looking Rory McIlroy admitted it would be tough to focus on golf at this week's BMW PGA Championship after calling off his engagement to tennis player Caroline Wozniacki on Wednesday.
Just days after sending out invitations to their planned wedding, the 25-year-old Northern Irishman said he was not ready for marriage.
"There is no right way to end a relationship that has been so important to two people," the twice major winner said in a statement on the eve of the European Tour's flagship event at Wentworth.
"The problem is mine. The wedding invitations issued at the weekend made me realise I wasn't ready for all that marriage entails.
"I wish Caroline all the happiness she deserves and thank her for the great times we've had."
The couple, known as 'Wozilroy' to fans, announced their engagement on Twitter in January when McIlroy proposed following a New Year's Eve fireworks show in Sydney.
World number 10 McIlroy, looking clearly distraught, told a news conference later on Wednesday that he never had any thoughts of withdrawing from the 60th anniversary edition of the Wentworth event.
"I'm not going to lie," he said. "It's going to be really difficult but when I get inside the ropes I'm going to have to try and concentrate on the matter in hand.
"I made a commitment to be here and I thought my duty was to play in this event," added McIlroy who had been in a relationship with Denmark's 23-year-old former world number one Wozniacki for 2-1/2 years.
"Obviously it's quite a difficult time for Caroline and myself and I think the statement really said it all this morning. It was mutual and we both thought it was the best for both of us.
"It's time to move on and I think I've said all I need to say. I just want to get my head into golf this week and concentrate on the tournament and try and do well.
"I've been playing well and the form's been good. I want to dive straight into it and keep myself somewhat busy and just try and have a good week on the course."