Lee Chong Wei hoping for positive outcome from hearing

Lee Chong Wei hoping for positive outcome from hearing

PETALING JAYA - World No.1 Datuk Lee Chong Wei is hoping for a good outcome from the Badminton World Federation (BWF) hearing.

The 32-year-old has been temporarily suspended from taking part in tournaments until the Badminton World Federation (BWF) hears his doping case.

The date for the hearing not been set but it will surely decide Chong Wei's fate. He may get a two-year ban, a reduced sanction or just a reprimand.

A two-year ban will mark an end to an illustrious career spanning over 15 years.

"After the 2012 London Olympic Games (he lost to Lin Dan of China in the final), I told myself that I wanted to go for another Olympic Games (Rio 2016).

"Then, there is the World Championships next year (in Indonesia)," Chong Wei told The Star, Saturday.

On Saturday, Malaysians were greeted with bad news when it was declared that Chong Wei's B sample had been tested positive, confirming that there were traces of a banned substance in his urine after the semi-finals of the World Championships in Copenhagen on Aug 30.

The news came a day after Chong Wei returned home from Oslo on Friday.

On Wednesday, he had witnessed his B sample being opened at the Oslo Hospital University laboratory.

The two-time Olympic silver medallist has denied taking the drug to enhance his performance.

"I do not know what the outcome will be (at the hearing) but I do hope for a positive one. I still have a chance to clear my name," said Chong Wei.

"My only fear is whether I can cope after the hearing and whether I can bounce back. "One month has passed by. I find it easier to beat my opponents on the court than handling this," added Chong Wei.

"It has been tough, really tough."

More about

doping
Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.