69-year-old man is fifth person to die from dengue this year

69-year-old man is fifth person to die from dengue this year
A worker spraying insecticide at Yoyogi park.

SINGAPORE - A 69 year-old man has fallen victim to dengue and died, bringing the death count to five this year.

The man was admitted to Mount Alvernia Hospital on Monday but passed away earlier today after his condition deteriorated, said the Health Ministry and National Environment Agency (NEA) in a statement on Thursday.

MOH revealed that the man, who had lived at Chuan Terrace, was right in the middle of an active dengue cluster, where there has been 20 counts of mosquito breeding reported so far.

NEA has commenced vector control operations to kill infective adult mosquitoes and root out potential breeding grounds.

Their efforts seem to be paying off as MOH noted that the number of dengue cases has fallen over the past five weeks.

However, they cautioned that residents should remain vigilant.

"Residents are encouraged to cooperate fully. Landed home owners are reminded to check their roof gutters, clear blockages and place Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (BTI) larvicide monthly. They should also clear the drains in their gardens from blockages, and place water bearing receptacles under shelter," said MOH.

debwong@sph.com.sg

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.