With $4 billion pumped in to support MediShield Life, MediShield Life Review Committee chairman Bobby Chin described the revamped national health insurance scheme as a 'major step towards Singapore becoming a more inclusive and compassionate society'.
Here are seven things you should know about the scheme, which will kick in from the end of 2015.
1. WHO IT WILL COVER:
- Every Singaporean and permanent resident.
- Even if you are above 92 (current age of MediShield coverage), have pre-existing conditions or had been rejected by insurers.
- Coverage is for life and you do not need to apply.
2. HOW MUCH MORE YOU WILL PAY:
- Depending on your household income level, annual premiums will go up by between $36 and $360.
- For lower-income groups, up by $36 to $132.
- For middle-income groups, up by $60 to $168.
- For higher-income groups, up by $84 to $360.
- You can use your Medisave to pay for your premiums.
3. SUBSIDIES YOU'LL GET IN PAYING FOR PREMIUMS:
- This depends on your age group, household income, household type, as well as citizenship status. You will pay more if you are working, and less when you are retired.
HOUSEHOLD INCOME & AGE:
If you are low-income (each member in your household earns an average of $1,100 or below), middle-income (between $1,101 and $1,800) or upper middle-income (between $1,801 and $2,600):1-40 years old: 25 per cent (low); 20 per cent (middle); 15 per cent (upper-middle)
41-60 years old: 30 per cent; 25 per cent; 20 per cent
61-75 years old: 35 per cent; 30 per cent; 25 per cent
76-85 years old: 40 per cent; 35 per cent; 30 per cent
86-90 years old: 45 per cent; 40 per cent; 35 per cent
Above 90 years old: 50 per cent; 45 per cent; 40 per cent
- Those in the Pioneer Generation (born before 1949) will receive special subsidies of between 40 and 60 per cent on their premiums for life. They do not get other subsidies. This group also enjoys annual Medisave top-ups of between $200 to $800, which can be used to pay for their premiums. This means that those aged 80 and above have their premiums fully covered.