He downed 750ml of vodka in 2 hours and ended up in hospital

He downed 750ml of vodka in 2 hours and ended up in hospital
Binge drinking still a problem among the young. This has led to fights at nightcl ub areas around Robertson Quay and Clake Quay areas.

SINGAPORE - He started drinking even before he turned 18, usually about twice a month with his friends.

And he would binge drink, often to the point of getting sick and throwing up.

But the student's cavalier attitude towards alcohol caught up with him last year.

Jonathan (not his real name) ended up in hospital for two days for alcohol poisoning.

He also had to lie to his parents as they did not know that he had been drinking alcohol.

Jonathan, who said that he has learnt his lesson, is just one of many young people here who binge drink.

Many of them can be seen around the clubbing areas of Clarke Quay and Robertson Quay, often drinking in public before hitting the nightspots.

Recalling his brush with alcohol poisoning, Jonathan, now 20, said he and five friends had planned an overnight fishing session at Punggol Jetty.

They took along alcohol so they could play drinking games to pass the time. But what was meant to be an enjoyable night out with friends turned into a nightmare for him.

In two hours that night, he drank about three-quarters of a litre bottle of vodka that he had brought from home.

"At one point, I felt extremely nauseous and leant onto my friend for support. He thought it was a joke, so he pushed me and I hit my head on the ground," Jonathan said.

He blacked out and the next thing he knew was that he was in an ambulance.

His friends told him later that he had a seizure and was having fits for about 10 seconds.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.