Parents shocked she went to KTV bar

Parents shocked she went to KTV bar
PHOTO: The New Paper, Facebook screengrab

"Mummy, I'm going downstairs to meet a friend."

Those were 18-year-old Ye Zhangdan's last words to her mother on Tuesday evening.

Barely four hours later, the teenager was fighting for her life after being run over by a taxi. She died from her injuries on Thursday evening.

Her death has raised several questions that still remain unanswered, even as she is to be cremated today.

Miss Ye's behaviour on that evening had been out of character, said her mother, Madam Yu Huang, 39.

Shortly after 8pm on Tuesday, the girl told her mother she was going out to meet a friend. She wore shorts and slippers, without make-up, and took only her mobile phone with her.

"My daughter was very vain and would even put on make-up to accompany me to the nearby wet market," Madam Yu said.

She did not take any money or her flat keys, which made Madam Yu think that her daughter was just going to the coffee shop at the bottom of their block in Yishun Ring Road.

Furthermore, Miss Ye was unfamiliar with the area, having lived in Singapore for only 1½ years, and usually went out only with her mother. "Her social circle was mostly limited to the people I knew, who are also from China, as well as our neighbours," Madam Yu said.

When Miss Ye, who had just turned 18 on July 3, did not return home past 11pm, Madam Yu and her husband started to worry.

Several calls to their daughter's phone went unanswered.

Having to put their four-year-old daughter to bed, the couple decided to leave their room door open so they could hear Miss Ye when she got home.

At about 1am, they got the call every parent dreaded.

"The hospital told us that our daughter had been involved in an accident and was fighting for her life. We were to go down immediately," said Madam Yu, her eyes welling up.

Miss Ye had been hit by a taxi on Sembawang Road at about 12.15am.

Paramedics found that she had no pulse and was not breathing. She was taken to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital unconscious.

At the hospital, the couple met one of Miss Ye's Singaporean friends, whom they know only as "Fatty".

He said he was their daughter's boyfriend.

They were shocked when Fatty said he and Miss Ye had been at a karaoke bar on Sembawang Road, near Jalan Lengkok Sembawang.


After they left the bar, Miss Ye had crossed to the other side of the road in the direction of home.

It is unclear how she had crossed the road. Madam Yu believes her daughter would have used a nearby overhead pedestrian bridge because Sembawang Road has a centre divider that is about a metre high.

But a witness told Lianhe Wanbao that Miss Ye was seen dashing across the road before the taxi ran over her.

He said that a plump man was seen running across the overhead bridge to Miss Ye and was heard shouting: "It's my fault, it's all my fault."

Miss Ye's parents said they were too distraught to ask Fatty what he meant when he shouted it was his fault.

Speaking at her daughter's wake yesterday with her younger child on her lap, Madam Yu wondered about the questions over her daughter's death.

Choking up, the native of Yunnan, China, said: "I want to know what happened... But my mind is a mess now.

All I want is to see my daughter off properly first and take care of my younger one."

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.