Power fault cripples MRT lines

Power fault cripples MRT lines
Photo: ST

Update: North-South Line will be suspended 11am-4pm; train service resumes today but at reduced speed

SINGAPORE - Train service resumed at 5.30am on Wednesday (July 8) morning on the North-South and East-West lines but service on the North-South line will be suspended from 11am, said operator SMRT in its latest update on Facebook at 5.19am.

Get the full story from The Straits Times. Train service will resume today with reduced speeds

Here's a statement from SMRT's Facebook:

Train service on the North-South and East-West Lines (NSEWL) will resume this morning (8 July 2015) at 5.30am but will operate at reduced speeds according to the following schedule.

During operations, trains will arrive at average intervals of five to seven minutes. Commuters may also encounter intermittent short delays until the problems are definitively resolved and the system stabilised. SMRT will provide free travel for commuters exiting stations on the NSEWL until normal service resumes.

Services on the NSL will be suspended for a few hours from 11am to allow LTA and SMRT engineers to conduct further investigations to determine the cause of the power trip that led to the shutdown of power across the entire network yesterday.

While LTA and SMRT engineers have narrowed down the possible causes of the problem, and are in the process of rectifying the faults discovered, it is not yet conclusive, and they would need more time to ascertain the situation definitively.

Service on the EWL will continue to operate throughout the day but at reduced speed as a matter of precaution and safety.

If the trains run normally during the morning, and continuing investigations during the morning pinpoint the fault conclusively, it may not be necessary to shut down the NSL from 11am to 4pm.

However, commuters are advised to plan, for now, on the basis of such closure, and to check for updates before starting their trip.

Information will be available on the SMRT website, LTA and SMRT Facebook and Twitter accounts, LTA Traffic News and MyTransport.SG. We will keep commuters regularly and promptly updated throughout the day.

With the rail network not operating at full capacity, commuters are encouraged to adjust their travel plans or use the alternative services provided by the bus network and rail lines in operation.

Free bus service will be available from designated bus stops and bus interchanges in close proximity to NSEWL stations. Up to 100 additional buses will be deployed to ply the affected rail corridors. Commuters can continue to use services provided on the North East Line (NEL), Circle Line (CCL) and Downtown Line (DTL). The NEL and CCL will extend their morning peak period by two hours such that trains will run at intervals of between two and three minutes during the morning peak hours.



Power fault cripples MRT lines

TRAIN services across the North-South and East-West lines were disrupted by a power fault during yesterday's evening peak hour, just days after a track fault disrupted service on the North-South MRT line and affected thousands during the morning rush.

Operator SMRT said a power fault at 7.15pm yesterday led to a "system-wide disruption along the entire line".

A statement released at 9.30pm, more than two hours after the disruption, said that the East-West line partially resumed service from Pasir Ris to Joo Koon at 9.20pm, while work was ongoing to investigate the cause of the power fault.

At about 9.40pm, SMRT said on Twitter that service on the East-West line had resumed, but at slower speeds. Even so, SMRT said service on the North-South line was still unavailable as of about 10pm.

Passengers got off trains at the nearest platforms and free bus services were available at all stations on both lines, to serve the thousands of commuters caught in the massive disruption.

Commuters were updated through train and station announcements, and on social media.

"As part of recovery efforts, SMRT engineers are conducting tests and sections of the network are being isolated to investigate the cause of the fault," the statement had said.

Going by the scale of the breakdown and the time it occured, it is estimated that more than 250,000 commuters may have been affected.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said it will carry out a full investigation into the cause of the incident.

Both LTA and SMRT apologised for the disruption.

Bank executive Jon Yeo, 46, was on an East-West train headed west from Tanjong Pagar when it ground to a halt at around 7.10pm. It was stuck for close to 15 minutes with partial cabin lights and air-conditioning. The lights and air-con were fully restored after that, but the train remained stationary.

"It moved for a bit, and then stopped again. They finally gave up and got us off at Redhill," he said. "All stations are affected. They actually pulled the shutters down," he added.

Asked if he was going to wait for the free bus services, he said: "No way, I'm not going to wait any more."

Another bank executive, Prashanth Shankar, 32, said he was at City Hall Station when the incident unfolded. "The announcement came only after 15 minutes. A long line built up for the fare refund."

Seeing the chaos and sudden crowd build-up, Mr Shankar called for his uncle to pick him up in his car. "The taxi lines were very long too," he added. "There are a lot of frustrated people."


Get MyPaper for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.