Submitted by pristeo@a1 on Tue, 2016-05-31 15:16
Raffles Institution student Jonathan Au Eong was only 11 when he conducted a survey among 80 pupils in Nanyang Primary for a Primary 5 school project in 2011.
It was to assess their awareness of smoking-related conditions.
He found out while almost all of them were aware that smoking was harmful to health, only four in 10 knew that smoking also caused blindness.
To the boy, now 16, this number was too low. He had learnt from his ophthalmologist father Au Eong Kah Guan that smoking causes cataract and age-related macular degeneration.
Submitted by youentan@a1 on Tue, 2016-05-31 14:47
A safer and less noticeable hearing aid is now available here for those with conductive hearing loss.
This is a condition in which the passage of sound waves from the outer to the inner parts of the ears is impaired.
Current hearing aids for this use an exposed titanium screw to hold a sound processor in place. Now, a magnet embedded under the skin does the job.
The first child to use the new Bone-Anchored Hearing Aid Attract system (Baha Attract) in Singapore is Benjamin Wee, aged 10, according to the Singapore General Hospital (SGH).
Submitted by shabanan@a1 on Tue, 2016-05-31 12:39
When her eyesight deteriorated early this year, accounts clerk Jenny Tan, 51, thought it was because she was getting old.
She didn't realise she was holding reading material close to her face until her sister pointed it out to her.
The smoker was at a loss as to what could have caused this.
Until a doctor told her it was her love of cigarettes that was destroying her eyesight and she was going blind.
Today is World No Tobacco Day and it has been tough for Madam Tan to say "No" to tobacco.
Submitted by mldas@a1 on Tue, 2016-05-31 12:25
Last December, Ella Clarke, 31, woke up in hospital hoping to cradle her newborn baby, Winter Rose, in her arms. But instead, the Briton was met with unfortunate news - she had lost both her legs.
The woman from Torquay in South West England told The Mirror that her legs had to be amputated after she gave birth, as a blunder made by her doctors caused the blood in her legs to clot.
Submitted by youentan@a1 on Tue, 2016-05-31 10:37
The National University Hospital (NUH) is conducting a trial to look at how bariatric or metabolic surgery can benefit severely obese people who have diabetes.
It plans to recruit 30 patients who are Singaporeans or permanent residents, said the study's co-investigator, Dr Asim Shabbir, director and senior consultant at NUH's Centre for Obesity Management and Surgery.
The patients will need to have a BMI (body mass index) of 32.5 to 50. The healthy BMI level for Asians is between 18.5 and 22.9.
Submitted by youentan@a1 on Tue, 2016-05-31 10:32
For years, experts have held up whole grains as the model carbohydrate, whose health benefits far surpass those of their refined cousins.
Earlier this month, for instance, The Straits Times reported that eating too much white rice could significantly raise one's risk of diabetes.
Instead, nutritionists advised, people should try and mix some brown rice into their diet.
But what exactly makes whole grains like unpolished brown rice better and how does the body benefit from eating them?
Submitted by minlee@a1 on Mon, 2016-05-30 12:56
A form of chemotherapy trialled in Singapore on patients with advanced gastric cancer has shown promise in prolonging their lives. The results were presented this week at a major conference in the United States.
Associate Professor Jimmy So, chief of surgical oncology at National University Cancer Institute, Singapore (NCIS), said that patients with advanced gastric cancer usually survive three to 10 months, when given conventional treatment.
Submitted by minlee@a1 on Mon, 2016-05-30 11:37
Reader Mulan Quan wrote to askST about the yellow noodles served at hawker centres: "Why do most yellow noodles found in hawker centres and foodcourts taste bitter? I understand this could be due to lye (caustic soda) being added to the noodles to make them look more 'eggy' and feel more chewy, but isn't lye carcinogenic? What are the health effects of consuming lye?"
Food-grade lye water is very different from lye water for industrial use, and is safe for consumption.
Submitted by minlee@a1 on Mon, 2016-05-30 11:27
People using cordyceps should take them in moderation - and inform their doctor if they take them regularly, experts have advised.
The warning comes after the case of a 58-year-old woman who underwent surgery for a benign brain tumour at Singapore General Hospital, and later died after developing extensive bleeding in the brain.
On Thursday, State Coroner Marvin Bay attributed Madam Chew Kim Kee's death last year to her failure to tell doctors that she had been taking cordyceps in the week before the operation.
Submitted by opub@itd on Wed, 2016-05-25 06:30
She was in class, sweating it out when all of a sudden, she heard a snapping sound and felt a sudden pain in her head. -ST