News @ AsiaOne

Malaysia's GE13: Johor Barisan prepared to take on the Opposition

Johor Barisan Nasional is all set for the onslaught from the Opposition which has moved its "heavyweights" to contest here. -The Star/ANN
Foong Pek Yee, Nelson Benjamin, Regina Lee, Edmund Ngo and Cheryl Chew

Sat, Mar 23, 2013
The Star/Asia News Network

Malaysia's Prime Minister Najib Razak delivers his keynote address during a live telecast at a TV station in Kuala Lumpur on March 19, 2013. Mr Najib touted the economic accomplishments of his four-year-old administration, as he appealed to voters to hand his ruling Barisan Nasional coalition a fresh mandate in imminent polls.

JOHOR BARU - Johor Barisan Nasional is all set for the onslaught from the Opposition which has moved its "heavyweights" to contest here, said Johor Baru MP Tan Sri Shahrir Samad.

He said the state Barisan was not worried as Barisan MPs and assembly men had been working hard since 2008.

"We have never taken things easy because Johor is a bastion for Barisan. The voters know what we have done in the state," he said.

Shahrir said DAP was taking on MCA as it wanted to be the dominant party to represent the Chinese.

DAP's attack is led by veteran Lim Kit Siang. DAP's S. Ramakrishnan is expected to be fielded in Labis while central executive committee member Liew Ching Tong is to take on Kluang.

Johor Umno information chief Datuk Samsol Bari Jamali said the onslaught was something that they had expected. "We are now more united and are closing ranks to ensure that we can take them on," he said.

Johor MIC secretary M. Asojan said that he was surprised by the number of "parachute candidates" that the Opposition was sending to Johor.

"Many of the issues about the Indian community have been resolved with Mentri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman personally looking into the matter," he said.

"I am curious to see what these parachute candidates can offer," he added.

MIC deputy president Datuk Seri Dr S. Subramaniam said he was unperturbed by Pakatan's onslaught.

Under Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak's leadership, he said the rakyat could see the numerous programmes for the people.

He was confident that the Indians were returning to Barisan in large numbers while the Chinese were a pragmatic lot.

MCA vice-president Gan Ping Sieu, who was previously a Johor assemblyman, was certain that Johor voters would still support Barisan.

"Johor people have enjoyed tremendous growth and prosperity with the rise of the economic zones in Pengerang and the Iskandar Development Region," he said.

"They can come here but they should not expect a walkover."

 
 
 
Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. Co. Regn. No. 198402868E. All rights reserved.
Privacy Statement Conditions of Access Advertise