News @ AsiaOne

Malaysia Elections: Indelible ink just won't come off

The dye "lost its effects" as the ink completely covered the nail on her index finger. -The Star/ANN

Wed, May 01, 2013
The Star/Asia News Network

KUALA LUMPUR - Try as they might, advance voters could not remove the indelible ink off their finger once it was applied.

Policewoman L/Kpl Siti Norhana Ridzuan who joined police personnel nationwide, being the first group of voters to use the indelible ink for the first time tried to wash it off after she cast her vote.

"The dark red ink stayed on. All I read about it is true. Looks like I have to wait between five and seven days before I can put on nail polish again," said the Bukit Aman personnel.

From as early as 8.30am, police personnel went to cast their vote at some 474 voting streams nationwide. The election clerks applied some ink on the voters' left index finger before giving them a piece of tissue, asking them to try to wipe the ink off. None succeeded.

L/Kpl Siti Rohana, who already had inai (skin dye) on her fingers, said the dye "lost its effects" as the ink completely covered the nail on her index finger.

"I was so excited as I was among the first to use the ink. I arrived at the Bukit Aman Mess Hall at 8am," she said, adding that it was "truly special" being part of history.

Police portal and social media head Supt Lai Lee Ching, who voted at Bukit Aman's Dewan Perkep, said as soon as the clerk painted her nail with the ink, they offered her a tissue to try wipe it off.

"At first, I was weary as it looked like any other ink but I was proven wrong when I tried to wipe it off and it did not come off," she said, adding that the ink dried almost instantly.

Another "failed" attempt was made by 37-year-old L/Kpl Nor Azam Abdullah, who was determined to try to wash off the ink.

"I have tried to rub it off with tissue paper and water but it is still there so I will try other methods when I get home," he said after casting his vote yesterday.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar said that it was an honour to be among the first in the country's election history to use the indelible ink.

"I had to follow procedures in casting my vote just like everyone else regardless of rank," he said.

At the army's Wardieburn Camp, Army Fourth Division commander Maj Gen Datuk Suhaimi Mohd Zuki said he did not mind the use of the indelible ink.

"I am proud to vote and to have my finger marked," he added.

In Kampar, Insp Hairani Razali said she missed her chance to vote in previous elections because she was constantly moving from place to place but this time she voted.

"It is my first time voting today and now, I feel like I have fulfilled my responsibility as a citizen to elect the government.

"Previously, I couldn't vote because I was a student in Sungai Petani but hailed from Kelantan," said the 29-year-old police officer, who was deployed to serve in Kampar two years ago.

In Kuantan, 51-year-old Kpl Mohd Shukor Abdullah, who has voted six times, said it was a new experience for him to cast an early vote as part of the inaugural batch in advance voting and using indelible ink.

Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. Co. Regn. No. 198402868E. All rights reserved.
Privacy Statement Conditions of Access Advertise