Hong Kong - So what if China blacklists him for speaking out in support of Hong Kong's democracy protests?
Superstar Chow Yun Fat appeared nonchalant when asked about a rumoured mainland ban on pro-Occupy Central artists, who also include actor Chapman To and singers Anthony Wong Yiu Ming and Denise Ho. "So just earn less, lor," Chow said, according to a report in Hong Kong's Next Magazine, citing a recent interview with him.
His cool response came as concerts by Wong on the mainland were postponed and Ho had a job with a fashion brand cancelled after they spoke for the pro- democracy movement.
Chow, 59, said he is filming From Vegas To Macau 2, the sequel by director Wong Jing. And never mind that Wong Jing had recently defended the Hong Kong police over their clashes with the protesting students.
Chow said everyone is free to speak his mind, adding, "Whatever." He also said he wished for an early resolution to the stand-off.
Earlier this month, he criticised the police for using tear gas against the demonstrators. In an interview, he said: "The students are sensible and smart. It was a peaceful demonstration. There's no need to use such violent means as tear gas." He added that Hong Kong Chief Executive Leung Chun Ying "shouldn't avoid the problem".
Apple Daily had said last week that while the Chinese authorities have quietly told entertainment companies to shun Ho, Anthony Wong and actor To, actors such as Chow, Andy Lau and Tony Leung Chiu Wai, who condemned police violence, have been spared.
This article was first published on Oct 28, 2014.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.