SINGAPORE - Singaporeans choose to unwind to British singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran's romantic ballad Thinking Out Loud, according to a study by music streaming service Spotify.
Spotify examined 2.8 million sleep themed playlists worldwide and identified Sheeran's song as the most popular pick in Singapore and around the world for relaxing.
Seven of Sheeran's tracks ranked on the list of Spotify's top 20 most-streamed 'sleep' songs globally, with six making the US-specific list - including calming tunes I See Fire, Give Me Love and The A Team.
Sheeran's artist popularity on sleep-themed playlists is followed by fellow British crooner Sam Smith.
According to the National Sleep Foundation, music's sleep benefits are a highly personal experience that depend on various factors including individual circadian rhythms, pre-bed rituals, sound salience and everyday "soundtracking" factors such as background noise and whitenoise.
On how people can design a healthy sleep routine and why people select certain tracks to help them sleep, Dr Max Hirshkowitz, chair-elect of the National Sleep Foundation, said: "People tend to gravitate toward mellow, laid back vocals between the baritone and tenor range-similar to why lullabies are effective for helping people relax."
Angela Watts, VP, Global Communications at Spotify, said: "'Sleep' is one of Spotify's most popular categories, that people also use for general relaxation and to help themselves unwind. Dr. Hirshkowitz's interesting insights reinforce the powerful connection between relaxation and music."
According to the National Sleep foundation, a tip to help people choose the best music for relaxation, as well as ensure that they have a good night's sleep include having a pre-bed ritual, which means doing a relaxing, routine activity before bedtime, conducted away from bright lights that will help to separate sleep time from stress-causing activities.
Dr Hirshkowitz said: "Music is a highly personal, emotional experience where one size doesn't necessarily fit all. In the music context, the more salient a sound is to you, the more likely it'll warrant a response - whether that's excitement or winding down. Like John Lennon says, 'Whatever gets you thru the night.'"
Singapore's Most-Streamed Sleep Songs
1. Thinking Out Loud - Ed Sheeran
2. I'm Not The Only One - Sam Smith
3. Love Me Like You Do (From "Fifty Shades Of Grey") - Ellie Goulding
4. Stay With Me - Sam Smith
5. All of Me - John Legend
6. Tenerife Sea - Ed Sheeran
7. Lay Me Down - Sam Smith
8. Skinny Love - Birdy
9. Take Me To Church - Hozier
10. Give Me Love - Ed Sheeran
Most-Streamed Sleep Songs Globally
1. Thinking Out Loud - Ed Sheeran
2. Stay With Me - Sam Smith
3. Love Me Like You Do (from "Fifty Shades of Grey") - Ellie Goulding
4. I See Fire - Ed Sheeran
5. I'm Not the Only One - Sam Smith
6. Rain for Sleep - Rain Sounds
7. All of Me - John Legend
8. Earned It (from "Fifty Shades of Grey") - The Weeknd
9. Let Her Go - Passenger
10. Skinny Love - Birdy
11. Say Something - A Great Big World, Christina Aguilera
12. FourFiveSeconds - Rihanna, Paul McCartney, Kanye West
13. The A Team - Ed Sheeran
14. Tenerife Sea - Ed Sheeran
15. Give Me Love - Ed Sheeran
16. Lay Me Down - Sam Smith
17. Fix You - Coldplay
18. Photograph - Ed Sheeran
19. Kiss Me - Ed Sheeran
20. Latch (Acoustic) - Sam Smith
Popular Background Tracks to Aid Sleep
1. Box Fan Sound - Tmsoft's White Noise Sleep Sounds
2. Sea and Silence - Deuter
3. Floating Away - Relaxing With Sounds of Nature and Spa Music Natural White Noise Sound Therapy
4. Orbiting Chimes for Deep Sleep - Ambient Music Therapy (Deep Sleep/ Meditation/ Spa/ Healing/ Relaxation)
5. Country Crickets Sleep Aid Loop - HB
6. Refreshing Claps In Thunderstorm - Nature Sounds
7. Gusts of Wind Blowing in Different Directions - The Last Dinosaur
8. White Noise Fan for Babies - White Noise
9. Thunderstorm Sleep - Relaxing With Sounds of Nature and Spa Music Natural White Noise Sound Therapy
10. Rain for Sleep - Rain Sounds
11. Under a Waterfall (Relaxing Sounds) - Sleep Sounds of Nature
12. Ocean Rain - Nature Sounds
13. Calm Tropical Rainforest Nature Sounds -- Nature Sounds
14. Constant Roaring Large Waterfall - Sounds of Nature Relaxation
15. White Noise - White Noise For Baby Sleep
16. Thunderstorm with Rolling Thunder for Meditation - Nature Sounds Nature Music
17. Relax Ocean Waves - Rain Sounds
18. Running Water - Soothing White Noise for Relaxation
19. Sleeping Along the Shore -- Deep Sleep Relaxation
20. Rain Storm Music Relaxation - Deep Sleep Relaxation