A one-time golden boy finds himself at the mercy of public speculation and hounded by the media.
In Gone Girl, which is based on Gillian Flynn's bestseller, Ben Affleck plays Nick Dunne who becomes the prime suspect when his wife Amy (Rosamund Pike) disappears.
The roller-coaster relationship with the media that Nick experiences in the movie is similar to what Affleck has endured in his career. That's a key reason director David Fincher chose Affleck for Gone Girl, which opens here tomorrow.
From "It" Guy to an actor whose talent and relationships was questioned to becoming an acclaimed film-maker, Affleck, 42, has come a long way since his Good Will Hunting days.
But how much do you really know about the Oscar winner?
Try this quiz to find out.
1. While Gone Girl takes a hard look at the institution of marriage, Affleck remains happily married to Jennifer Garner. How long have they been married?
A. 7 years
B. 8 years
C. 9 years
2. The Afflecks had a very secret wedding. How many guests did they have?
3. Affleck was a paparazzi magnet because of his high-profile couplings. Before "Bennifer" with Jennifer Lopez (which popularised such name-mashing), who was Affleck romancing?
A. Liv Tyler
B. Gwyneth Paltrow
C. Kate Beckinsale
4. Aside from his life in the media glare, what was the other reason Fincher believed Affleck was "perfect casting"?
A. Fincher loved the way Affleck smiles.
B. Affleck has the eyes of a potential murderer.
C. Fincher loved Affleck in Mallrats.
5. Affleck made headlines after the release of Gone Girl in the US last week - and it wasn't because the film was good or his and Pike's performances were superb. What was it?
A. Affleck reveals all while naked.
B. Affleck revealed the ending on a talk show.
C. The ending was different to the book.
6. Affleck is also a respected director. How many films has he directed?
7. Affleck has won many awards for his films. He also has another winning profession. What is it?
A. Poker player
B. Basketball player
C. Baseball player
8. He's a favourite with the Razzie Awards, with nine nominations to date. How many Razzies has he won?
9. Affleck is the new Batman. How many times did he play a mainstream comic-book superhero before becoming the Dark Knight?
10. In filming Gone Girl, which one thing did Affleck refuse to do in particular?
A. Wash regularly
B. Be on set with co-star Neil Patrick Harris
C. Wear a New York Yankees cap
1. C They were married in 2005.
2. A Actor Victor Garber, Garner's father in Alias, who officiated the ceremony
3. B They split before they became Bwyneth.
4. A Fincher needed a particular smile and found many examples of Affleck's via Google.
5. A He admitted showing his genitals, but reviews say blink and you'll miss it.
6. B Gone Baby Gone, The Town, Argo.
7. A He won the California State Poker Championship grand prize of $350,000 in 2004.
8. B Worst Actor and Worst Screen Couple for Gigli in 2004.
9. B Daredevil and technically, Superman (playing original Superman actor George Reeves)
10. C Affleck is a diehard fan of rival baseball team Boston Red Sox.
This article was first published on Oct 8, 2014.
Get The New Paper for more stories.