Saatchi has ‘no proof’ Nigella Lawson took drugs

Saatchi has ‘no proof’ Nigella Lawson took drugs

LONDON - Multi-millionaire art dealer Charles Saatchi told a British court Friday he had no proof that his celebrity chef ex-wife Nigella Lawson took drugs - but admitted he had sent an email claiming she was "off her head".

Saatchi, 70, said he was "utterly bereft" that a private email he sent to Lawson referring to her alleged drug use had been made public.

The email he wrote to Lawson was read in full to jurors at the trial of two Italian sisters who were personal assistants to the couple. The two are accused of fraudulently spending £685,000 (S$1.41 million) on Saatchi's company credit cards.

But when asked if he believed allegations that Lawson was a habitual cocaine user, Saatchi told Isleworth Crown Court in London: "I do not know."

"If you ask me whether I actually knew whether Nigella ever took drugs, the answer is no."

Saatchi said had been "very fond" of Elisabetta and Francesca Grillo - who deny fraud - but feared they would use their allegations that Lawson took drugs as a defence in their trial for fraud.

In the email he referred to his ex-wife as "Higella" at one point.

He wrote: "I can only laugh at your sorry depravity.

"Of course now the Grillos will get off on the basis that you... were so off your head on drugs that you allowed the sisters to spend whatever they liked and yes I believe every word the Grillos have said, who after all only stole money."

Questioned by a prosecution lawyer, Saatchi said: "I'm utterly bereft that this private email to Nigella has come back to haunt us both.

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.