SINGAPORE - Fourteen foreign workers, aged between 21 and 39, on Thursday pleaded guilty to being part of an unlawful assembly in relation to a fight in Little India on March 31 last year.
The Straits Times reported that 11 of them were each sentenced to seven months' jail. The other three were dealt an additional week each for stealing food and beer from supermarkets.
The 14, mostly construction workers from India, fought with another group near the Farrer Park MRT station.
In his submissions, assistant public prosecutor Dillon Kok said the fight involved "deadly weapons such as wooden poles and metal rods" and it led to "serious injuries" on both sides.
The police received a call at about 9pm that day from an informant who said that "a riot is about to take place" and described the accused as being "armed with sticks and rods".
Court documents described members on both sides to have charged at each other with weapons raised and exchanged blows with bare fists for about two minutes.
When the police arrived at the scene, they found that a number of the fighters were injured, with injuries such as lacerations and skull fractures.
The wounded fighters were taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital.
Bad blood between members of both groups had caused the fight.
Two of the five who have been identified from the opposing group will appear in court at the end of this month and early April. Three others are still at large.
Get The New Paper for more stories.