2 men arrested for fighting in Geylang

2 men arrested for fighting in Geylang
Policemen arresting and holding down the two men at an alley in Geylang.

SINGAPORE - Two men suddenly started arguing and assaulting one another at a coffee shop in Geylang on Sunday.

At the height of the fight, a glass bottle was flung and narrowly missed a female passer-by. One man then chased the other for about 200m.

They were eventually arrested by police officers at an alley between Geylang Lorong 27A and Geylang Lorong 29.

By then, one of them was bleeding profusely, with blood soaking his shirt.

The two men had been drinking beer on Sunday afternoon at the coffee shop at Geylang Lorong 25A before the fight broke out.

It is unclear if they were drinking together.

A stall assistant told The New Paper yesterday that the two men were not regulars and he had not seen them before at the coffee shop.

"At that time, we were swamped with our work and we didn't notice that they had started arguing. Before we knew it, they started fighting and ran off," he said.

But not before one of them picked up a glass bottle and hurled it at the other.

It missed his target and almost hit a female passer-by, 47-year-old Miss Wang, who had just alighted from her car, reported Shin Min Daily News.

The bottle smashed into the front of her car. Fearing for her safety, she immediately ducked back into the car with her friend.

"That was when I saw that one of the men was bloodied as he ran past. It was so scary," she told Shin Min.

Another passer-by, who wanted to be known only as Mr Ng, a technician in his 30s, told TNP that the scene was messy and noisy.


He was on his way to grab a bite at a coffee shop at Geylang Lorong 27A when he noticed about eight police cars in the area.

By then, a crowd of onlookers had gathered, he said.

Curious, he went closer and saw police officers pinning down the two men.

"It took them about five minutes to get the two men into separate police cars," he said.

A police spokesman said they received a call for assistance at about 3.15pm on Sunday.

Officers arrested two men, aged 28 and 38, for affray, he said.

A Singapore Civil Defence Force spokesman said they sent an ambulance to the scene.

But the two men, who had minor injuries, refused to be taken to the hospital, he added.

When reporters arrived at the scene, one of the men was seen with a bandage on his head, reported Shin Min.

The two men were then placed in separate police cars and taken away.

The police are investigating.

This article was first published on January 13, 2015.
Get The New Paper for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.