Three foreign workers each spent two to four weeks in jail for making false work injury claims, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) said yesterday.
Between April and July last year, Khan Momen and Billal Hossain Kader Molla, who are from Bangladesh, and Govindan Raja, an Indian national, claimed that they had been injured at work.
They tried to get compensation from their employers under the Work Injury Compensation Act (WICA).
Investigations by MOM officers, a standard procedure in such work injury claims, found that the three men had lied about the accidents.
The Straits Times understands that the three workers have been sent back to their home countries after serving their sentences.
"When the veracity of WICA claims are in doubt, MOM conducts extensive investigations into the claims," Mr Woon Cheng Peng, deputy director of MOM's Work Injury Compensation Department, said in a statement.
"Such investigations and subsequent prosecution of fraudulent cases take up considerable time and resources, which could have been better spent on ensuring that genuine claimants have their claims settled fairly and expeditiously."
Since the start of this year, four workers have been hauled to court for making fraudulent work injury claims or giving false information.
Those found guilty of making fraudulent claims may be fined up to $15,000 and jailed up to 12 months.
Those convicted of furnishing false information face a maximum penalty of a $5,000 fine and six months behind bars.
This article was first published on September 27, 2014.
Get The New Paper for more stories.