4 injured after e-scooter catches fire in Yishun flat

4 injured after e-scooter catches fire in Yishun flat
PHOTO: Lianhe Wanbao

Four people were injured after an e-scooter that was left to charge overnight caught fire in a 10th-storey unit at Block 260 Yishun Street 22 on Tuesday (Nov 7).

In response to media queries, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said that it was alerted to the incident at 10.40am.

The fire was put out by SCDF officers using buckets of water.

According to Lianhe Zaobao, three occupants aged between 23 and 59 were in the flat when the fire occurred.

A 23-year-old man who was sleeping in the bedroom where the e-scooter was charging, woke up when he heard an explosion.

He reportedly panicked, broke his bedroom window and climbed out to escape the flames.

Two of his neighbours saw the dangerous situation he was in and rushed into the bedroom to pull him up before running out of the flat together.

on Facebook

Over the past 2 days, SCDF was alerted to 2 residential fire incidents where preliminary investigations indicated that...

Posted by Singapore Civil Defence Force on Wednesday, 8 November 2017

One of the neighbours, a 26-year-old man, suffered burns on his hands and was taken to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital for treatment.

Two of the flat's occupants suffered from smoke inhalation while the man who was rescued suffered burns on 30 per cent of his body and required a skin transplant.

Investigations are ongoing.

On Oct 12, four people - including a five-day-old baby - were taken to hospital for minor injuries after an e-bike that was charging overnight in the common corridor of a Bukit Batok HDB block caught fire.

Graphic: Facebook/Singapore Civil Defence Force
Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.